The most detrimental situation that may occur in your property is water damage. There are two ways that you can choose to go about your water damage repair. You can choose to do it yourself or you can hire an expert service provider. If you prefer the first option, the tips below will guide you in completing your water damage restoration like a pro:
- When it comes to water damage repair, think about your safety first. Before water damage restoration can be performed, you need to clean up the mess first. Since bacteria and mold may be present, it’s dangerous to work on it without utilizing protective gear such as footwear, gloves, masks and more.
- Next, you need to move all damaged items. Even though this can be nasty and grueling work, removing all items is very time consuming. There are restoration experts that are willing to do this, but cost could add up abruptly. If you can handle it on your own, make sure to use rubber gloves and a face mask to avoid personal injuries.
- Remove the water and dry out your basement quickly. Since there are times when water amounts up in the basement more than you can handle, acquiring the assistance of experts to the extract water is highly recommended. But if the amount of water is minimal, it might be best for you to do it on your own using a vacuum or extracting the water manually. This means that you will need to make several trips from your basement to laundry basin, but this will surely be a more cost effective approach.
- Clean and disinfect the area. Once you have removed contents such as carpet, furniture and personal belongings it’s best to clean up the rest using good quality disinfectants and with warm water. Once everything has been disinfected and dried out, you can then put everything back to its original place. There are people who use bleach solutions to disinfect, however, professional cleaners recommend using products that have been proven effective and safe, not only on materials but also to people. Now, there are many new types of green products available in the market that is highly safe and effective to use.
- Since bacteria and mold growth may start forming within 24 to 48 hours, its best to get the air flowing immediately. If definite microbial growth appears, this could greatly increase your remediation cost. Because of this, it is vital to start the drying process the as soon as possible. You may consider placing several fans all throughout the damaged area to help drying easily. The fans will help get the granules of water into the air via evaporation. Running dehumidifier will eliminate humidity from the air. This is the best way to get rid of moist easily.
Follow these given advise and you should be fine to complete the restoration yourself, or at least the water damage cleanup. In the event that you find yourself struggling to do it on your own than we do recommend you hire a professional to help you.